Summary of interesting dates in
Old Beckenham.

1884
 New Police Station built on Church Hill (Opened by C. Lea Wilson)

1885
Trees on Church Hill removed for development. 'The Pound' - foot of Church Hill  removed.First Edition of T.W. Thornton's 'Beckenham Directory'.
 

1890
Beckenham Junction Station re-built.
Bertie Almshouses 31/33, Bromley Road, built.House in Wickham Road (from 44 upwards) built.
 

1891
Croydon Road and Alexander Recreation Grounds opened.
 

1892
Catford Loop Line developed.
 

1894
Beckenham Urban District Council formed.
Houses in Oakwood Avenue started.
 

1896
Love Lane' (Burnhill Road to Wickham Road) closed.'Clock House' demolished.
 

1899
Toll Gate - Hardings Lane - demolished.
 

1900
Electric Lighting inaugurated. G.P.O. built in Albemarle Road.Further development of houses in Oakwood Avenue. 'Elm Cottage (High Street) used for Volunteer Corps.
 

1901
Beckenham Road Baths opened.
 

1903
Parish Church Tower completed.
 

1904
New Beckenham Station built.
 

1905
St. Hilda's Home (Crescent Road) built.
 First "Aerial Post".
 

1906
Churchfields Recreation Ground opened
 

1910
Park langley Golf Club formed-Houses built in Queen's Road. (£450 each!!)
 

1913
Langley Mansion burnt down.
 

 

 

1914
'The Pavilion' Cinema in High Street opened.
 

1919
Girls County School in Lennard Road opened. Now called Cator Park School for Girls
 

1920
'Village Place' in High Street demolished.
 Elmers End Housing Estate built.
 

1921
'Kelsey Mansion' demolished.'Langley Court' taken over by Wellcome Foundation Laboratories
 

1924
Houses in Bromley Road (No's. 144-184) built.
 

1925
Houses in The Drive (down to the stream) built.
 

1926
Gazebo removed from Church Hill to Mr. Thornton's garden. Further development of Elmers End Estate and Upper Elmers End Road. Shortlands Housing Estate developed.
 

1927
Old Rectory demolished for erection of Town Hall.
Girls' County School enlarged.
Shops in High Street (old Nos-06 etc.) demolished.
 Houses at top end of St. James's Avenue built.
 

1928
Beckenham Place Park purchased by the L.C.C.
Houses in Bromley Road (Nos.51-65) built.
Houses in Scotts Lane built.
 

1929
Park Langley Garage built.
 

1930
'The Regal' Cinema opened.Block of shops Woolworth's etc. built. Also Shops at College Parade, Eimers End, and Croydon Parade. Beckenham Heights Estate developed
 

1931
Work started on Town Hall. Beckenham and Penge Grammar School for Boys built.
 

1932
Town Hall opened by H.R.H. The Duke of Kent.
 

1933
St. John's Church, Eden Park, built. Development of The Mead, Beckenham, Downsbridge Road and Coney Hall Estate.
 


 

 


Leave your comments

Post comment as a guest - Your email address will not be displayed on the site.

0
Your comments are subjected to administrator's moderation.

People in this conversation

  • Mal Mitchell

    A timeline is a great idea but needs expanding. Any chance of getting edits into it?
    e.g.(just few of those possible)
    1345 The Lay Subsidy Roll lists names of taxpayers in Beckenham, some appear in history such as Brun or Bruin, Langele and others suggest place names ie Stomeshulle for Stumpshill and Cleyhurst for Clay Hill.
    1623 A map of Beckenham Manor shows it is divided between Henry Snellyer and John Dalston as a result of 2 earlier heiresses marrying while owning the two halves.
    1659 Thomas Philipott records that Lady Christian Leigh widow of Sir Francis Leigh is in occupation of Langley Park.
    1723 Amy Raymond marries Peter Burrell (the second of four Peter Burrells in Beckenham). She is a daughter of Hugh Raymond who will become a local landlord.
    1732 Hugh Raymond buys Langley and Simpsons Place in Bromley.
    1737 Jones Raymond inherits Langley
    1749/51 Frederick St.John, Viscount St.John and Viscount Bolingbroke inherits the Manor of Beckenham from his father John, and title Bolingbroke from his Uncle
    1756 Peter Burrell of Langley dies and Amy his widow inherits his properties.
    1760 is the date of John Cator building a house on Stumpshill according to his father in law Peter Collinson and the date of Cator purchasing land around Beckenham from the heirs of the Tolson/Tilly family

    PS 1792/93 is the date Burrell Lord Gwydyr exchanges land with Cator. Foxgrove Manor had been divided but all came together again under John Cator in this year.

    0 Like Short URL: